Capitol Federal® proudly celebrates more than 120 years of service to our customers and our communities. Throughout its history, the Bank has remained steadfast in its commitment to the American dream of home ownership.
Capitol Federal is proud of the leadership role it has demonstrated within the housing industry and within the communities it serves. It is proud of its people who accept that role, dedicated to serving as leaders to further the Bank and its area communities.
Building high standards of leadership within Capitol Federal began 123 years ago when we opened our doors. The tradition developed through the years as Capitol Federal took the lead in renewing its growth following the Great Depression, weathered the storms of the 1980s, and stood tall during the recent housing concerns, receiving national recognition for being a leader in “doing it right”.
We thank our many generations of customers for their loyalty and rededicate ourselves to the ideals of the Bank's Corporate Philosophy of Safety in Savings, Sound Lending Policies, Quality Customer Service, and Commitment to Community. Customer trust in the strength of Capitol Federal has led us into a new century, and we look forward to a partnership with our customers in the development of our communities and in meeting the challenges our new century will bestow.
- John B. Dicus, Chairman
September 16, 1893
Fifteen men gathered for the first time to form a savings and loan.
The Association changed its name to the Capitol Building and Loan Association.
1900 – 1939
Landmark Home Office opened at 534 Kansas Avenue, Topeka.
Henry A. Bubb was hired.
Federal Home Loan Bank System formed
Capitol Building and Loan Association adopted a new Federal Charter and changed its name to Capitol Federal Savings and Loan Association. Accounts became insured automatically by the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation (FSLIC). In difficult times, the Association stood at $6 million, half of what it had been prior to the Crash of 1929. Although these were challenging times, the Association came out stronger, leading to an era of success.
1940 – 1949
Capitol Federal Board of Directors named Henry A. Bubb as President of the Association.
The Association was now “the largest federally insured association in the state.” During World War II, Henry Bubb and Capitol Federal continually sold War Bonds, and for their efforts, both received a Distinguished Service Citation from the U.S. Treasury Department in recognition of the Association's record War Bond sales.
1950 – 1959
Assets grew to more than $19.5 million; and the first branch office in Kansas was opened at 1201 Topeka Boulevard in Topeka.
The second Capitol Federal branch, the first outside Topeka, opened at 11th and Vermont in Lawrence.
Capitol Federal opened its first office in the Greater Kansas City area, located on Johnson Drive in Mission.
Assets reached $100 million.
John C. Dicus joined the Association
1960 – 1979
Capitol Federal installed its first "computer" - a Univac "tab" machine - in the Home Office at 6th and Kansas in Topeka.
December 9, 1961
Capitol Federal's new Home Office opened at 700 South Kansas Avenue in Topeka on December 9, 1961. The office reflected the times with the inclusion of a Civil Defense bomb shelter in the basement.
John C. Dicus elected President, with Henry Bubb continuing as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.
1972 CapFed® took the lead in technological advances with the installation of an online data processing system.
The Association introduced the Passcard, the key to opening the door for customers to enjoy many new conveniences and services not previously available.
The Association became second savings and loan association in the nation to offer customers off-premise access to their accounts.
Capitol Federal reached $1 billion in assets.
Introduced P.S.* Telephone Bill Payment Service – another first in Kansas for Capitol Federal.
Capitol Federal introduced its ATM network, known as Passcard Centers.
The Association began offering Checking with Interest and Consumer Lending to customers. Capitol Federal weathered one of the most difficult periods in the history of financial institutions.
Through FIRREA legislation, the FSLIC was dissolved, and the FDIC began insuring deposits of institutions formerly insured by FSLIC, including Capitol Federal, through the Savings Association Insurance Fund (SAIF).
Chairman Henry A. Bubb died in January 1989. John C. Dicus was then named Chairman.
Capitol Federal reaches its 100th anniversary, with assets of more than $3.9 billion.
The Association introduced a new logo and slogan, featuring “True Blue®”, demonstrating its connection to its color and its dedication to its customers and communities.
John B. Dicus was elected President, with John C. Dicus continuing as Chairman and CEO
March 31, 1999
Capitol Federal's Plan of Reorganization and Stock Issuance Plan is successfully completed, transforming Capitol Federal from a mutual savings association to a stock savings bank. Capitol Federal Savings and Loan Association now known as Capitol Federal Savings Bank. The Capitol Federal® Foundation was established, as part of the reorganization.
Introduction of True Blue Online®
President John B. Dicus elected Chief Executive Officer.
John C. Dicus honored for 50 years of service to Capitol Federal. Due to the board's mandatory retirement age, John C. Dicus retired as Chairman from the board, continuing as Chairman Emeritus. John B. Dicus was elected Chairman of the board, now serving as Chairman, President and CEO.
The year 2010 was highlighted by the second-step conversion from a mutual holding company form of organization to a stock form of organization, completed in December 2010. At that time, Capitol Federal® Financial was succeeded by Capitol Federal® Financial, Inc.
Capitol Federal® launched its successful True Blue Online® upgrade, resulting in 35,497 sign-ons during the first day.
Technology continues to serve customers' needs, with the expansion of Mobile Banking to include Mobile Check Deposit, allowing customers to deposit checks using their phone to capture an image and submit it to Capitol Federal directly.
Early December 2013 saw the opening of Capitol Federal’s 47th branch, 4th in Missouri, at 43rd and Main in Midtown – Kansas City, MO.
Capitol Federal was honored as one of the Forbes Top 50 Most Trustworthy Financial Companies.
Capitol Federal introduced Apple Pay™ as a new way for customers to pay with their True Blue® Direct Debit Card.
With Capitol Federal, the security of our customers’ wealth is a top priority. In December 2015, customers began receiving their True Blue® Direct VISA® cards with an EMV Chip embedded for fraud protection.
The Bank introduced a new look for capfed.com, perfect for a home computer or mobile device, allowing connection with Capitol Federal anywhere, at any time. During the Capitol Federal® Financial, Inc. (CFFN) annual meeting of stockholders on January 26, 2016, Chairman Dicus announced the fiscal year 2015 results. The results included $9.84 billion in assets, $6.63 billion in loans and $4.83 billion in deposits. Chairman John B. Dicus, James G. Morris and Jeffrey R. Thompson were re-elected to serve on the CFFN Board of Directors.