- Be aware of your surroundings, particularly at night. If you observe or sense suspicious persons or circumstances, do not use the machine at that time.
- Have your ATM card ready and in your hand as you approach the ATM.
- Visually inspect the ATM for possible skimming devices. Potential indicators can include sticky residue or evidence of an adhesive used by criminals to affix the device, scratches, damaged or crooked pieces, loose or extra attachments on the card slot, or noticeable resistance when pressing the keypad.
- Be careful when entering your PIN at the ATM. Use your other hand or body to shield the ATM keyboard as you enter your PIN into the ATM.
- Always take your receipts to keep your account information confidential.
- Do not count or visually display any money you received from the ATM. Immediately put your money into your pocket or purse and count it later.
- If you are using a drive-up ATM, roll up your passenger windows and lock your doors. If you leave your car and walk to the ATM, lock your car.
- Park close to the ATM in a well-lit area. If the lights at the ATM are not working, don’t use it.
Capitol Federal® cardholders receive ATM access, with no transaction fees, at Capitol Federal ATMs and participating retail ATM locations, like Walgreens, CVS and Target. ATMs are available across Kansas and Western Missouri.
Do you have additional ATM safety tips? Share them here!
Safety and Security